Why? Perhaps it has a little to do with it being Monday, but mostly it’s those good ol’ hormones. How do I know? When I feel down but can find no cause for it, I know that means my hormone balance has changed and the adjustment is causing mood issues. Usually it’s a sudden drop in progesterone that causes this feeling — progesterone makes me HAPPY. If you can’t guess why my progesterone would drop suddenly, this link will explain all.
The good news is that I know that soon enough all will be well. I just have to wait it out.
The bad news is that I still have stuff to get done and no time to mope about. And unfortunately, feeling blue means I lack my usual stubborn drive to get stuff done. Getting stuff done is what makes me happy. It’s a vicious cycle that goes downhill quickly.
Because I encounter this issue nearly every month, and continue to struggle with it, I’m going to make a list of the tips and tricks that help me push through this. Then I will promise to read this each month as a reminder! I’d love to add to this list, too — please let me a comment with your tips.
1. Remember, “this too shall pass.”
2. Find something, anything, no matter how small, that you can do. Do it. Then find another. (This blog post is #3 on my list of small things right now.) Little successes can add up to bigger successes.
3. Don’t forget your morning coffee. The caffeine can give you enough of a boost to get over the speed bump. Don’t feel guilty that you’re drinking caffeine.
4. Go for a walk. Endorphins can help.
5. Get some sunlight, if it’s out. Sunshine can help, too!
6. When you encounter a wall, don’t allow it to stop you completely. Find a way around it, over it, through it. Don’t give up. (Easier said than done, I know.)
7. If all else fails, let it go. Go listen to “Let It Go,” sing along, and just OWN those feelings.
Let the storm rage on!
Besides, it’s hard to watch “Let It Go” and not feel just a teeny bit more empowered.
Please leave me your own tips here!
Updated to add: Went for a 45-minute walk and feeling better!