Have big craft room dreams and a tiny budget? Yeah, me too! I’ve been drooling over those picture-perfect craft rooms with a gigantic craft tables. So when I began planning my ultimate craft room, I knew I needed an amazing craft table WITH storage. But what’s a girl to do when she doesn’t want to spend a ton of money? She either buys an affordable craft table or she hacks together the perfect DIY craft table with storage using IKEA storage units.
I needed a large craft table at a normal table height (I dislike stools) with lots of storage, very sturdy, and with a white, easy-to-clean surface. My solution was to buy several different storage solutions and “hack” them together to create the craft room table of my dreams. I now have TONS of storage in my table with both drawers and shelves, a hidden place for my trash can (it’s behind a little door on the side), some pull out “wings” on either side of my work area for storing things while I’m working, another hidden place for storing large items, and a “guest” side where my family and friends can sit with me (room for two chairs). The work surface is very large — 5′ x 5′, which is 25 square feet. I am overjoyed.
The best part? The components for this amazing craft table were under $300.
Here’s what I used:
- Two (2) Alex drawers from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10373037/
- One (1) Kallax shelving unit from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80275887/
- Two (2) Linnmon tabletops (59×29 1/2″) from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20251139/
- Two (2) Haggeby doors from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30267168/
- Two (2) copper handles from Amazon: http://amzn.to/2C3HfaE
- Two door hinges
Here are some photos of my craft table in my in-progress craft room: