Learn how to make an easy mini stocking ornament with loops for hanging on a tree, hook, or mantle!
Stockings are a great way to hold gifts, and small stockings are ideal for small gifts like gift cards, trinkets, and ornaments. Little stockings are great for group gifts, like coworkers gifts, too! But it’s hard to find mini stockings that are just the right size and still look good. So why look for them when you can just make them yourself, in exactly the size and color you want! These mini stocking ornaments can hang from a tree or hook, or even decorate a larger package and act as a gift tag. And you can customize the fabric to the recipient’s interests and taste. So many possibilities!
Here is a clip from a live video during which I made these adorable mini stockings:
Ready to make your own mini stocking ornaments? This step-by-step tutorial shows you how to do it. This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.
Materials to Make a Mini Stocking Ornament
- 100% cotton fabric (I recommend flannel, but quilting cotton is fine) or 100% polyester fleece — I’m using one color for the outside, one color for the inside lining, and one color for the cuff
- (Optional) 1/2″ wide ribbon or cord, about 3″ long
- All-purpose thread that matches your inside lining
- A way to cut your fabric, such as a rotary cutter or a Cricut Maker with a rotary blade)
- A way to sew your fabric, such as a basic sewing machine (I am using the Janome Arctic Crystal in the live video), or needle and thread for hand sewing
- Thread snips and/or scissors
- Quilting pins and/or sewing clips
- Steam iron & ironing board/pressing mat (for ironing your fabric before your cut it)
- Pattern (Printable PDF, SVG Cut File, and DXF formats)
- Design #225 (Myfree mini stocking ornament printable PDF pattern/SVG cut fileavailable here and in my free resource library—get the password by filling out the form at the bottom of this page)
How to Cut and Sew a Mini Stocking Ornament
Coming soon! While you wait for the written tutorial, check out the video of me making these mini stockings here!