I love to make things, and that includes making blogs! So I thought I’d make you a tutorial on how to make a blog site and exactly how to start a WordPress blog easily and quickly.
Blogging changed my life. I get to do what I love, share it with people who love what I do, and earn tens of thousands of dollars a month. And the best part is that it doesn’t take a lot of money to make a blog. You can start a money-making blog for just a few dollars a month!
Click here to start a WordPress.org blog, then use the tutorial below for the easy directions.
If you want to get started blogging for less money and more quality, then I think choosing Siteground for your hosting needs is the right first step. Siteground is an amazing web host. I switched to Siteground when I got serious about making money with my blog and it made a huge difference for me!
Blogging has been one of the best things ever for me. I now make over $20,000 a month from my blog and blog-related services. For real.
But it’s more than the money I make. It’s the ability to work from home so I can be near my family, have a totally flexible schedule to work on my crafts and projects whenever I want, and go on adventures! I am still pinching myself at how much blogging has changed my life since I began in October 2016. Life is REALLY good.
And the best part? I think anyone can make money with a blog. I earned the money I paid for my blog hosting back within just a couple of months after starting. And I think you can do that, too!
Siteground is, in my opinion, the BEST blog hosting company for new bloggers in 2018. They’re reliable, affordable, and not plagued by the difficulties with other blog hosts like Bluehost. You can start your own blog with them for as low as $3.95 a month! I highly recommend getting the 12-month hosting plan through Siteground. It’s a great deal and you can save a lot of money by signing up for at least 12 months. The best value is a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate stays low for three years.
How To Make A Blog FREE Email Course
You may be thinking, “Well I can just start on Blogger, Blogspot, WordPress.com or Wix for a little cheaper and learn how to make a blog that way” NOOOOO… Don’t do that. There are so many reasons for why a Blogger/Blogspot/Wix blog is a really bad idea, and why you should instead setup a WordPress blog on Siteground.
If you are interested in ever making money off your blog, freelancing or turning it into a business, then paying for your hosting, such as through Siteground, is a MUST. It’s extremely cheap as well to go through Siteground AND you get a free domain. You can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, direct advertising, etc. with a blog ran on Siteground. Making money on Blogger or any other free blogging platform is very difficult, and in many cases never happens. Most advertisers and companies tend to run away from Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional as self-hosted WordPress.org blogs, so that’s another big reason to use Siteground.
Also, if you read my past income reports (which you can see if you subscribe to my blogger newsletter), you can…
There are many reasons for why you may want to choose Siteground for your WordPress blog and I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers. These reasons include:
- It’s easy to use. Yes, ANYONE can create a WordPress blog easily with my tutorial below. Siteground makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog.
- Siteground web hosting offers technical support.
- Siteground is extremely affordable and they offer cheap web hosting. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $3.95 per month.
- WordPress through Siteground is FREE.
- Siteground offers a guarantee in case you determine that it is not for you. If you sign up for Siteground, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, then you will want to be self-hosted.
- You will appear much more professional to readers, companies, and so on if you are self-hosted on Siteground than being on Blogger, Blogspot, or Wix.
First, you will need to head on over to Siteground to do any of this. There are many web hosting companies out there, but Siteground is honestly one of the best. There is a reason why many bloggers choose Siteground for their web hosting needs.
If you plan on starting a blog on Siteground and you are interested in learning how to start a blog on WordPress, continue below. Remember, if you sign up for Siteground, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out. That’s what I’m here for so don’t be afraid to send me an email.
How to Make a Blog Site with WordPress on Siteground
Step 1. Register your domain name
You can click here to purchase a domain name and create a blog, then continue to follow the easy steps below.
The very first thing you will need to do when starting a WordPress blog on Siteground is to think about what you want your domain name to be. This can be tough, and I would give some serious thought to this.
I don’t even remember how I came up with my blog name. It’s a long one though and at times I regret it. Trying to spell out my blog name to people who don’t know about it can get frustrating because they don’t know if I’m saying “cents” or “sense!”
You can get your domain directly through Siteground and make the whole process very easy.
Step 2. Buy hosting for your blog
Setting up a WordPress blog on Siteground is very easy. First, we will talk about the costs of blogging:
- To receive the cheapest price to start a blog, then choosing the “Startup” plan is really all you need. It’s only $3.95 per month through my link (due upfront in full) if you sign up for 12 months, which is a great price. If you are unsure about blogging, I would sign up for the 12-month plan as this is still a great price and very affordable for one year of blogging. If you purchase a 12 month plan, your total price is only $47.50 for your first year, which is an awesome price. The best value would be purchasing a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run.
- The Startup plan is all you really need for now, so skip the GrowBig and GoGeek plans as they are more expensive. You can always change it later to a different plan if you want to (and just pay the difference), so there is no need to sign up for extra that you do not need.
- The other item you may want to pay for when it comes to blogging is Domain Privacy Protection, which is only $19.50 per month. This is so that your contact information stays safe. I don’t personally use it, but you may prefer to have that privacy — your choice.
- Other than the above, you do not need the other items that Siteground sells, so I would uncheck any of the extras that are listed.
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Go to Siteground and click the “See Plans” button.
- Check “I already have a Domain” if you registered a domain earlier, or check “Register a new domain” to sign up for a new domain name here. (You’ll also want to type the domain in here at this point if you are registering a new domain.)
- Click on the plan you are interested in (I recommend StartUp, which is usually selected by default).
- Uncheck the items you do not need, such as Domain Privacy and SG Site Scanner.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure as this information is very important.
If you have any problems, please send me an email at [email protected]
Step 3. Connect your domain and your hosting
Note: You can skip this section (Section 3) if you buy your domain directly through Siteground.
If you buy your domain name through GoDaddy like I did, then you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. GoDaddy has a full support page for setting nameservers for your domain names. Below is a snippet:
“When you register a domain name with us, we set it up on our parked nameservers so a temporary page displays when visitors go to your website. After you determine which hosting provider to use, you can change your domain name’s nameservers to remove the parked page and activate your domain name.
If you registered your domain name with another provider, you can still purchase a hosting account with us, use our Off-site DNS services, or use our CashParking® or Quick Content services. If you do any of those, you must view your nameservers in your account with us, and then set the nameservers with your domain name registrar.”
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using Go Daddy for your domain and Siteground for your hosting:
- Login to Siteground and click on User Area -> My Accountstab -> Information & Settings to copy the nameservers.
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Accountlist.
- Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your copied name server information from step 1 in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom.
You will then need to add the domain you bought (such as through GoDaddy) as an addon domain to your Siteground web hosting. You can do this by clicking on “Domains” when logged into your Siteground web hosting account and then clicking on “assign.” Follow the steps and it is very easy!
Step 4. Install WordPress on Siteground
Okay, this is probably the step that all of you have been waiting for. If you want to start a WordPress blog on Siteground then continue reading.
This part isn’t hard at all. Siteground makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE.
- After you create your password, Siteground guides you through exactly what you need to do in order to start a blog.
- First, Siteground will ask you to pick a theme. You can just pick a random one here or find one that you actually like. You can change it later so it’s not a big deal or just scroll to the bottom and skip this step. Remember, there are many free ones too!
- Click on “Start Building”
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it’s up to you. Or, you can click the “I don’t need help.”
WOOHOO! You now have a WordPress blog. You will have to work on the design and producing high-quality content, of course. Good luck!
If you sign up for Siteground, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out. That’s what I’m here for so don’t be afraid to send me an email at [email protected]
Helpful Tips for Using WordPress to Make your Blog:
- You can add and create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in.
- If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side.
- You can go to “Appearance,” then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on.
- If you are looking for a way to send newsletters or emails to your readers, I highly recommend Seva (formerly called Convertkit).
- If you are looking into the actual design of your blog, Genesis seems to always be the most popular. Genesis is used on my blog, and I highly recommend it. Or, there are free themes through WordPress you can use too. Just go to “Appearance” on the left-hand side when you are logged into your WordPress website and click on “Themes,” then activate whichever one you are interested in testing out. By doing this, you can start designing your website easily!
Here are more blogging-related posts I think you’ll find useful after you learn how to make a blog site with WordPress:
- The Secret to Money-Making Crafts: Start Craft Blogging!
- How to Take Great Blog Photos &; Videos
- How to Grow an Email List
- How I Monetized My Mailing Lists and Made $30,000